How to clean mould from electronics safely
We use electronic devices throughout the day. From our mobile phones to the computers we use for work, our lives revolve around electronics.
Mould growth on electronics can be a potentially hazardous issue. As well as causing damage to the devices, it could affect their functionality. There’s also the possibility of mould being a potential health risk.
However, with the right approach, it is possible to safely clean mould from electronics without causing further damage. This article provides essential tips and techniques for effectively and safely removing mould from your electronic devices.
Why cleaning mould can be tricky
While it is possible to clean mould away from your electronic devices, it can be tricky. One of the main issues is that water and electronics typically don’t mix, and it’s not possible to use the amount of moisture needed to clean away the mould here without causing damage to the device or to yourself.
Therefore, alternative methods are needed.
Steps to cleaning mould
- Safety first
Before attempting to clean mould from electronics, ensure your safety by taking the following precautions:
- Disconnect the device from the power source
- Wear protective gloves, a mask, and eye protection to avoid direct contact with mould spores.
Thoroughly assess the extent of mould growth on the electronic device. If the mould is confined to the surface, cleaning it may be possible. However, if the mould is in the internal components, it may be best to seek expert advice.
- Dry cleaning
Begin the cleaning process by gently removing loose mould using a soft brush or cloth. Ensure the device is turned off to prevent any electrical mishaps. Avoid using excessive force or liquid during this step to prevent further damage.
- Cleaning solutions
For non-porous surfaces, a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water (1:1 ratio) can be effective in removing mould. Dampen a clean cloth or cotton swab with the solution and gently wipe the affected areas. Avoid directly spraying the cleaning solution onto the device.
Alternatively, oils and lubricants could be used to loosen mould and make it easier to remove with a cloth.
After cleaning, it is crucial to thoroughly dry the electronic device to prevent future mould growth. Use a dry cloth to remove any moisture. If possible, place the device in a well-ventilated area or use a fan to speed up the drying process. Ensure the device is completely dry before reconnecting it to the power source.
Preventing mould in the future
To minimise the chances of mould growth on electronics in the future, keep the devices in a well-ventilated area with low humidity levels. You can also use dehumidifiers or silica gel packets to control moisture and also make sure you regularly clean and dust electronic devices to prevent mould spores from settling.
If the mould growth is extensive, or if you are unsure about the cleaning process, seek professional assistance. Mould experts have the expertise and specialised equipment to safely clean and restore electronic devices.